Neuro-Linguistic Programming or NLP as it is better known, started as a research project to find out why some people did very well in some areas of life, sport and business, while others do not. Over the last 42 years it has been refined into techniques for personal development, business training, etc.
Dr Richard Bandler coined the term “Neuro-Linguistic Programming” in the 1970’s. NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) is the method of influencing brain behaviour (“Neuro”) through the use of language (“linguistic”) and other types of communication to enable a person to “recode” the way the subconscious mind responds to stimuli (“programming”) and manifest new and better behaviours. NLP often incorporates hypnosis and self-hypnosis to help achieve the changes (or “reprogramming”) that is required.
Oxford English Dictionary Definition of NLP
Neuro-Linguistic Programming: “a model of interpersonal communication chiefly concerned with the relationship between successful patterns of behaviour and the subjective experiences (esp. patterns of thought) underlying them” and “a system of alternative therapy based on this which seeks to educate people in self-awareness and effective communication, and to change their patterns of mental and emotional behavior.”
Dr Richard Bandler
How Did Neuro-Linguistic Programming Begin?
In the late 1960’s Richard Bandler was a computer science undergraduate at theUniversity ofCalifornia with an interest in psychotherapy. He noticed how ineffective most therapists were, but he also noticed that there were a few who got some amazing results. These were Virginia Satir and Fritz Perls. He and colleague John Grinder closely studied them, and realised that the supposed “intuition” both used in their work had a structure. This structure could be copied, you basically do what they do, and you model yourself on them. From this study of the conscious and unconscious behaviours of these therapists, Neuro-Linguistic Programming grew to what it is today.
Later, Bandler and Grinder studied the hypnotist Milton H. Erickson. Combining his approach to hypnosis with the structures of Satir and Perls, they produced a very effective therapeutic model – which was the beginning of Neuro-Linguistic Programming or NLP, as it is more commonly known.
Some of the Main Benefits of Learning NLP Include…
- Gain a competitive edge over your competition in business and safely increase your profits
- Get what you want by effectively managing your subconscious mindset and influence others to happily work with you to achieve your dreams
- Overcome the obstacles which are holding you back from taking your business or career to the next level
- Learn how to consistently motivate yourself and others with ease
- Learn to use language with greater precision so that you get the results you want
- Your thinking will be clearer, more focused and you will make better decisions
- Master your subconscious mind with NLP and change the old negative habits you have learned into new positive healthy habits.
- Learn about yourself and your emotions so that you handle everyday situations easily
- Learn to become a more effective communicator and enhance your personal relationships
- Develop instant self confidence
- With Neuro-Linguistic Programming your business and personal life will never be the same again.